Whenever I hear the word Indie, I immediately smile and think of my wonderful friend Indie Lee. Indie and I met two years ago when she came out to Colorado for an event she was hosting at Anthropoligie. I had just moved to Denver and was so excited she was coming to Denver with her business partner Rebecca. The moment I met these two women, I knew we would be more than just acquaintances. Their commitment to really making a difference in the World was something that I rarely see nowadays. But, what stood out to me the most was their unique friendship and true "companionship." The level of trust and commitment is something that every entrepreneur hopes to find at one point in their careers, some are lucky to find and some never do. But, Indie and Rebecca found it ... they have a one-of-a-kind partnership in our industry and their love and respect for each other is felt by everyone that works with them. Indie and Rebecca, you make quite the team, and I am so proud to call you my friends. If you don't know Indie's story you should ... here is a little look into her "why."
After conquering a life-threatening brain tumor that pointed to environmental toxins as the culprit, Indie Lee awoke on April 22, 2009 with a new lease on life and the passion to create a chic and eco-friendly namesake collection. Comprised of the finest ingredients from around the world, the line is designed to enhance the face and body with gratifying green glamour. Indulge in the luxurious feel and beautiful benefits of Indie Lee products while protecting the Earth – and your body. Unleash your inner and outer beauty with Indie Lee, an eco-chic collection of skincare products that combine style and sustainability without sacrifice.
Now that my friends, is a woman on a mission! It's women like her in the industry that are really driving and creating change for the right reasons. So, when Indie called me and told me she was coming back to Denver to do a showcase at our good friend's shop AILLEA, I immediately jumped on the train. AILLEA is another one of my favorite places to shop in Denver, and Kathryn (the owner), is also a good friend of mine. You might be seeing a theme here ... relationships mean everything in our business and working/supporting your friends is what it is all about!
So, thank you Indie for being you and caring about women's health on such a deep level. P.S. Your coconut lemon scrub will forever be one of my favorite items in my shower! xx Nat
LOCKER ROOM CHATS X indie lee
indie IS A the creator of indie lee, brain tumor survivor, mother of two and badass female ENTREPRENEUR
1. WHAT'S YOUR WHY? To empower others to live the healthiest version of themselves (mind, body and soul).
2. THREE QUALITIES THAT HAVE MADE YOU SUCCESSFUL? I’m passionate about what I’m doing, I’m endlessly curious and I’m not afraid to ask for help.
3. MOMENT YOU FELT LIKE YOU MADE IT? I actually remember this moment like it was yesterday. On 4/22/13, we relaunched in our current packaging at Henri Bendel on 5th Ave coupled with an article in WWD. Friends and family stopped by the store to see our products on counter. Oh, and seeing our CoQ10 Toner in Vogue magazine (pinch me moment).
4.Change you would like to see for women in our industry? Great question, I’d love to see badass women taking charge and continuing to support one another. I’d also love for women to understand that balance doesn’t mean 50/50 splits. Sometimes I’m 80% mom mode and 20% CEO, other times I am 75% business, 20% family and 5% ME. Balance to me really means doing what works for yourself in the moment.
5. the moment you almost quit? Quitting is just not in my vocabulary. That is not to say I don’t have bad days or get frustrated and think how am I going to XYZ, after all, I’m human. However, I started this journey to create change – quitting has never been on the agenda.
6. What every woman should do in her lifetime? Fall in love with themselves. I figured out who I was in my 30’s but truly fell in love with myself in my 40’s – ladies – what are you waiting for?
7: What’s your favorite quality about yourself? I’m a glass is half full (with pink champagne) kinda gal. Even in the dark moments I’m able to appreciate and learn from them. There is always a silver lining. Or as I like to say, “From utter chaos, clarity can be achieved.”
8: Why is it so important to build other women up? I’m blessed to have both a daughter and a son. While I appreciate this question, I want them to grow up understanding that you should build one another up, regardless of sex - why discriminate between male and female? What would this world look like if we realized we are all human beings and equals?
9. Top of Bucket List? Funny you should ask, as I’ve been thinking about that recently as I introduce more fun into my life. Right now on top of my bucket list is a visit to the Maldives, to take my kids to Europe and to own a farm (or retreat compound) where I can invite friends and family to relax and connect with the nature and themselves.
10. What’s one piece of advice you can give to the next generation of female rock stars? Believe in yourself - never let anyone tell you what you can and cannot dream or do. Remember, this life is not a dress rehearsal. Go out there and do it!
"Beauty is an inside job" -- Indie Lee
"What always surprises me is that people will look for the organic bananas, the organic apples, but they won't look at the ingredients on the products that they're buying for their skin — their largest organ." -- Indie Lee